I was a HUGE fan of DEXTER, But I’m terribly sorry to say that It has got to be the most awful final season of any great TV shows, ever! What a shame :(((
I think what was the brilliant about Dexter was:
- Huge mysterious evil bad guy. (Ice Truck Killer, Bay harbor Butcher, Trinity,…)
- Fantastic voice-overs. (Helped us BE with him & felt close to his inner circle.)
- The act of blending in & disguise. (Being a blood spatter & Boyfriend & Father & Brother & Husband & Friend &…)
- The killing rituals. (Talking and taking out the garbage.)
- Intelligence & Power. (Being a step ahead of his victims and make the neat kill done.)
- Psychology & logic of the story & his actions. (Going to the past & find out about his family & roots.)
Many of these factors were gone after season 2 and the rest after season 4. So after that there were none of these things have left. There was no BAD BAD guy who scares us and makes him “play”, kills got fewer and fewer and he makes many mistakes, voice-overs are lame or disappeared and finally in the horrible season 8 not only you don’t have anything interesting left, but also there is a weirdo who runs from Deb to Vogel and Zack and MMPD and Saxon and… to his house, desperately searching for something to go on with! Every episode he changes his goal and his decisions make us laugh.
Horrible things are countless in this season and I just mention one example: “The not killing Saxon thing” after that he was looking for him for almost 3 episodes! “I have to kill him!” and then suddenly “I don’t want to kill you!”. I just wrote this because all events after that depends on it and we had some writers that don’t know how to risk from episode 1 to 11 and want to do all of that ridiculous supposedly “Oh! My God!” things in finale!
I listed the critics from all over the internet here, I can’t write them all myself, because it’s so sad to remember that the most brilliant TV show ever created without any doubt, turned into this. :((